Friday, November 27, 2009

Redemption Running

Thanksgiving morning offered perfect conditions for a run. Quite honestly, the words "Thanksgiving" and "running" have never been used in the same sentence in years past. I ran my first "Turkey Trot" yesterday and it was such a refreshing way to kick-off the holiday season, plus it was the perfect taper run before the Santa Barbara marathon on December 6, 2009.

What? Marathon? Yes, its true.....seconds after crossing the finish line of my first marathon in October 2005, I uttered the words "never again"! Well, I will have to eat my words, because I have been training with the fall team to run another full marathon. I have confidence that my second marathon experience will be much more satisfying. You see, last December, I embarked on my own version of "The Biggest Loser" and have lost 35 pounds thus far. Aside from the benefits of healthy eating, I have actually gotten speedier. So 2009 was my year of "redemption running"....for example, my time from the 2008 San Jose Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon was 3:50:00 versus my 2009 SJ RNR time of 2:52:13. I think my best run this year was the Nike Women's Half Marathon. Nike has always kicked my butt and this year, I was actually able to run the hills without too much pain and whining. Plus I shaved off 50 minutes from my 2007 time.

I have actually reached a point where I enjoy running---shocker! My motto for the past 4 years has been "I hate to run, but I love Team in Training". I may have to change my motto--I welcome any suggestions.....

1 comment:

  1. Carol, you're a rock star! I'm so proud of you. And I love the photo of you and Ellen. Keep up the good work! Hope to see you in a few weeks when I'm in town.

    ReplyDelete